Friday, August 3, 2012

An Introduction to the Beginning

When one takes part in a practice requiring fine attention to detail, it is crucial to keep equally fine records.

I normally do not consider myself a perfectionist.  However, when it comes to brewing, I've found I am at my most meticulous. This isn't to claim I'm a flawless craftsman, but that if what I create is not what I imagined, I will search relentlessly for the answers as to why it fell short.  I develop a concept in my head, and that is what I seek to create. It is about bringing an idea into reality. It is creation, and nothing pleases me more than to witness the existence of something that was once nothing more than a simple thought.

The purpose of this blog is simply a public notation on my records, and projects. I prefer to type rather than write when it comes to 'thinking on paper', and so I decided to use this medium among other options.

To lead into things, I have been slowly gathering equipment for what I need. I can't resist following Shiggy's (the one who taught me to brew) influence in terms of hardware, and will eventually be upgrading the mash tun to a stainless steel model. For now, i've just converted an old Igloo cooler to meet the needs for all-grain mashing. The kettle came in today as well, an approx. 40L stainless with a ball-valve. Dont think I'll be using the ball valve much unless i can find some plastic tubing to fit snugly over it for clean transfers.

Also invested in a 23-head burner that should move things along nicely. Other than that, I'll be making use of the basic homebrew kit items. Next on the buy list is a quality carboy. This first beer will be the last one in a bucker fermenter. I haven't had any problems with bucket fermenting, I'm just not fond of them. It doesn't feel secure enough for me.

The first beer is going to be a fusion of research and gimmick. Ever since I read an article in a Beer Advocate, I've been obsessed with trying to find and use Serebrianka hops. It's the only "Russian" hop variety that is now US grown. It is hard to find, low alpha acid, and doesn't store well--Its a very un-American hop. The story behind it, is that it was a parent hop to US Cascade (along with UK Fuggles). I always thought it would be fun to make a beer that had Cascade's parents together, and luckily, I managed to find a grower that sells the elusive Serebrianka.

As for the malt profile, I'm choosing to embrace simplicity. Most of the process will be hands-off since I'll be in Seattle for most of the fermentation period. This beer is going to be all about the hops. Not a hop-head beer, however, but more a middle-road pale ale that showcases hop characteristics. To do this, I'll be using a combination I learned from a Kiwi at a homebrew tasting, essentially going heavy on the Pilsner malt, while keeping a 20L Crystal below 20% of the profile. And thats all there is to it.

Continuing with the simplicity, I'm just going with US-05. It's cheap, reliable, but I'm sure I'll change the yeast if the recipe goes well.

It'll be bottle conditioned, but I plan on kegging soon (hopefully before I hit beer number three).

Ingredients are on the way, and the brewing will probably be Wednesday or Friday this week.

-L

No comments:

Post a Comment